Reading time: ~3 mins.
Welcome to No. 003, February 2021. This collection of blog posts titled ‘PR Blueprints’ is for non-PR folks. You’ll get public relations templates, frameworks, insights, and tips to help secure media coverage for your retail tech or creative business — on your own.
Before you read on, please consider signing up for my weekly public relations newsletter, PR Now.
10 Ways To Upgrade Your Funding News Announcement
When B2B tech companies announce funding, they usually don’t secure all the media attention they can. Oftentimes, startups land one story about a newly closed funding round in a publication like TechCrunch, then it’s radio silence. With a few tips and some dos and don’ts, you’ll maximize your company’s new funding announcement.
Retail tech startups are making funding announcements every day and reporters aren’t covering just any capital announcements anymore, so your news has to be delivered the right way to cut through the noise.
Then, after journalists hear about your funding news, it’s best to follow up milestone announcements with stories that showcase your company’s momentum — I’ll tell you what they are.
But first, let’s get this out of the way: a press release is only one part of a strong funding announcement strategy, and it’s not necessary. The 8-14 hours that usually go into developing and distributing press releases are usually better off used for something else. A well-written blog post usually is enough.
Here are 10 ways to upgrade your funding announcement strategy:
- Timing: Avoid announcing your funding round during an industry event (it’ll get buried)
- Tie yourself to a current narrative or trend
- Be prepared: Add 1-2 prewritten executive and investor quotes to your media pitches
- Do not add the hiring of executive hires (save that for another time to keep a steady drumbeat of news)
- Email customers/brands explaining how this funding benefits them now and in the future
- Ask the VC firm to publish an article to their site, Medium, or Substack that explains its importance to the industry
- Share the news with regional media (use this media pitch template)
- Explain where the capital is going
- Tell your investors about the announcement ~2 weeks out + arm them with social media-friendly graphics
- Inform journalists ~10 business days in advance (they’ll pen a better story)
After you’ve completed follow-up on your funding news, send ‘momentum signals’ to media such as customer success stories (CSS), product updates, or highlight recent wins/accolades/awards. Let the news about your funding “breathe” but don’t wait long.
You should consider at least three pitches that fit multiple outlets. It’s smart to have a tailor-made story for VC publications, another for trade publications that cover your industry, and a regional one.
Remember that a funding announcement is the first plank of a bridge to extend your company news and land more stories. For goodness sake, get all that you can out of the hard work your team put into securing funding.